Saturday, June 23, 2007

Family

When I first read "Wuthering Heights" I wrote a paper on how Heathcliff was not a monster, I argued that the fact that he was not properly socialized or shown true love was the cause , Cathy and Hindley had the first years of their lives with their father who showed them how to love and were given much love. Heathcliff, on the other hand, came from the rough streets of London and the only true love he had ever really known, Cathy, was tossed about when she found something better. The reason why I believe this argument to be true is the fact that Wuthering Heights was so secluded, it was at least 8 miles to Thrushcross Grange, and the only Christen figure, Joseph, was worse than everyone else.
Today we don't have the problem of seclusion, at least in America. Look around you: Television, Computer, IPods, Phones and any other gadgets you happen to have. If you think of all the ways the media blasts into our lives, it is ridiculous! In today's culture we need some kind of shelter.I hope that when my time comes to have a family, if that is my vocation, I will be able to better shelter my children from the outside world which strips their childhood right from their hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home